Are you looking for a Flat Roofing Contractor?
Find The Flat Roofers Specialist From the No.1 Flat Roof Company In Edinburgh!
THE FLAT ROOFING SPECIALIST In Edinburgh:
Are you looking for a flat roof specialist or a flat roofing company in Edinburgh?
If so, this is the right place to find the No.1 trusted Roofing Contractor Edinburgh in all areas of now!
At RGG Ltd, we offer the best possible service to our customers, commercial or domestic.
Being a family-run business, we feel proud of the envious client base we have accrued over the many years we have been in operation.
We always ensure that all clients projects are completed to the highest of industry standards
We even provide our customers with a free survey report including images to our clients for their perusal.
- Roofing Services Blackhall
- Broughton Roofing Services
- Guttering Repairs and Guttering Services in Edinburgh
- Flat Roof Replacement Cost Calculator
Top Reasons To Hire A Specialist For A Flat Roof In Edinburgh
Every house requires repairs from time to time. In case of ignorance, the cost might go up to several hundred pounds. Keeping the home maintained might sound expensive, but in actuality, it is relatively cheap. With regular maintenance, you will need to invest in small repairs and will prevent you from spending your hard-earned money on large repairs.
Thus, it is recommended to keep your roofs inspected at regular intervals of time by professional roofers in order to spot the minor issues and get them rectified on time.
It has been seen that many homeowners with flat roofs consider DIY options for repairing their roofs. However, it might be less expensive but not recommended. It is suggested to always hire a professional in order to get your flat roof inspected and repaired.
For all homeowners with a flat roof, we recommend you always hire a professional flat roof expert in order to inspect your roof, and repair it in order to bring it up to standard. For those who are residing in Edinburgh, we highly recommend hiring a professional and most reputable flat roof expert in order to fix all the issues and keep it maintained and in good condition for a long time.
Many people with DIY roof repairing ideas often consider hiring flat roofing experts worthless. Well, there are several reasons why instead of going for DIY flat roof repairing, you should hire professional flat roofers in order to get your roof repaired and maintained.
Here is a list of the most common reasons, strengthening the idea that you should hire a flat roof specialist in order to keep your roof maintained or fix minor issues in it. These are:
First your safety:
Safety should always be the priority of all persons. Money can be earned but lives do not come again. Though the flat roof is comparatively safe, still it requires all persons to follow
the safety guidelines while repairing the roof. Since you are a newbie, it is not possible for you to properly perform all the repair works.
Professional flat roofers are highly qualified and experienced and they follow all the safety guidelines in order to keep you and your family safe from all kinds of risks during the flat roof repair work.
During the repair work of a flat roof, there is a need to utilize the proper safety gear in order to ensure onsite protection from every type of mishap. Adopting all the safety measures is sometimes not possible for you and this can risk the lives of not only you but your loved ones as well.
Remember that nothing is more important than you and your family’s safety. And, the professional roofer will always take care of this, leaving you and your family with peace of mind.
A flat roof is one that doesn’t have any kind of slope or any hump or curve on the roof. But for you, you do not have the proper adequate tools in order to diagnose the presence of any kind of curve or hump on the roof.
Having a curve or hump on the flat roof can cause problems later, for example, the wrong side curve will let the water stay on the roof making it weak and less durable.
The roofing experts have all the tools and appliances required to remove all kinds of humps and curves from the roof and are well qualified to undertake all kinds of repairing tasks as well.
Best products for roof replacement:
Since you are not from the roofing industry, you have less knowledge about the products used for roofing projects. While repairing the roof, sometimes there is a need to replace some of its components. Having poor knowledge about the roofing material you will end up buying low standard or low-quality products at a high price. While professional roofers are experts in finding high-quality roofing material, and as they are in connection with the industry, thus can get the correct item for the roof at an affordable price. This will help you save money on good standard products and enhance the life of your roof.
Repairing work after surveys and inspections:
Reputable roofers always have the tendency to inspect the roof thoroughly before starting the repairing work. This will help them find out the repair that your roof is requiring.
You might only spot some of the issues and skip some of the minor but serious issues. Also, you may not do a thorough inspection of the roof, directly start the replacement work which can lead to more cost and less life of the roof.
But the professional roofers never miss the essential step of roof inspection. They first spot all kinds of roof issues, repair all of them and then go for replacement work, if needed.
Save your time:
Time is the most essential asset for all. Instead of investing your time in repairing the roof which is not your primary work, invest your time in your business and make money out of it. Investing time in repairing the roof is fruitless. It will lose you a lot of your important time and money as well and the repair work is also not as per the standard.
Instead, you should keep working on your primary business and let the professional roofers handle your roofing project. They will provide you with the best and top standard roofing service in less time and at affordable rates.
The bottom line:
So these are some of the reasons why you should hire professional flat roofers for your flat roof. In Edinburgh, there are several agencies that are providing roofing services. But you should research first to get the best service from a reputable roofing team at an affordable cost.
Ronald G Graham Roofing & Building Ltd. Background:
Edinburgh Roofers RGG Ltd., offering built-up felt roofing systems, single-ply roofing systems, cold-applied roofing systems, and EPDM roofing (firestone) has grown significantly over the last 35 years.
To keep our clients satisfied we provide flat roofs with-
- Greater durability
- Quicker and more cost-efficient installation
- Increased insulation properties for thermal resistance
- Lower maintenance costs
1. Flat Roof-
- The flat roof, also known as “torchon“, has three layers.
- The layers are melt welded with a big torch or blowlamp.
- The felt roof comprises a breathable membrane, a reinforced felt layer, and a thicker layer known as a “Cap sheet“.
- The cap sheet comes with solar reflective elements alongside a variety of finishes.
- The benefits of using the felt roof over other roofs are-
- Repair costs are at a minimum
- It comes at a lower price compared to others
- It is widespread and readily available
- A Felt roof generally comes with a variety of different guarantees.
- But if you can install and maintain the roof properly, it could last for up to 40 years.
A Flat Roofer’s Tip-
- Always make sure the roofing contractors carry suitable insurance to use a hot flame in your property and they ensure that they comply with the NFRC safety torch policy.
2. Rubber Roof-
- Rubber roof, also known as Firestone roofing or EPDM, comes with a single layer.
- Rubber roof is comparatively new in the market.
- Still, it is becoming more and more popular with time.
- The advantages of rubber roof over other roofs are-
- It is a single layer yet reliable and damage resistant.
- Rubber roof comes with a guarantee period of up to 50 years.
- Installing this roof is much easier compared to others.
Rubber Roofing Costs-
- In May 2019, the rubber roof costs 20%-30% more than the felt roof, labor, and materials.
- Remember, if the timber decking needs replacement, then it will cost even more.
EPDM Roof Downsides-
- The appearance can be a drawback.
- Requires dry conditions for installation
- Rubber roofs have only a black aesthetic, which some people might not like.
A Flat Roofers Tip-
- As a rubber roof can be installed quickly, many underqualified cowboys work under the guise of professional installers.
- You should always call the manufacturer and ask to see the sample works of the installer first.
3. Fiber Glass Flat Roof-
- Fiberglass is known as Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP).
- This roof is the most expensive one but also the most resilient to damage.
- This type of roofing is used as a one or two-layered jointless system.
- Fiberglass has a factory-made finish and trim.
Fiberglass Flat Roofing Downsides-
- Fiberglass is not breathable enough to handle condensation.
- It has a low expansion capability (as roofs generally expand and contrast in heat and cold).
Other Points to Consider The Fiberglass Flat Roofing-
- It would help if you did not choose a specialist on any particular roof.
- The most suitable roof can vary from situation to situation.
- The flat roof should always be at an incline and not be so flat that it cannot let the water flow to the gutter.
- Decent ventilation is needed to avoid condensation and moisture in properties.
- A covering is vital for removing the damp air and rain from the roof.
- The base or foundation of the roof should be strong enough to hold the roof and any solar panels on it.
- In the case of replacing an existing roof, you may find the roof decks or joints damaged.
So, you should be prepared for the extra expense at the time of stripping the old roof.
What are some common flat roof maintenance mistakes that should be avoided?
The flat roof is more advantageous in comparison to the slated roof. They are highly recommended by expert roofers and builders for both commercial as well as residential buildings. Flat roofs are often considered the best option for industrial buildings as well. Despite many advantages over the flat or sloped roofs, they require more frequent maintenance and need to be kept in proper functioning condition.
To keep the flat roof maintained, it is advised to hire a professional and highly qualified roofing team. They will inspect the roof for minor issues and fix them to keep the roof in a well-maintained and good functioning condition. In Edinburgh, you will find several roofing agencies to entertain your roofing project, but you should first research their background and choose the most reputable and legit company always for roofing services Edinburgh.
While building the flat roof or keeping it maintained, many of the homeowners often perform several mistakes that can cost them in the future. Thus, in order to avoid unwanted and extra costs, one should always avoid these mistakes and get a robust, strong, and long-lasting roof.
But the question is what are the common mistakes the flat roof homeowners perform more frequently and should be avoided to keep the roof healthy and long-lasting. Here in this guide, we are listing these mistakes that should be avoided while building and maintaining a flat roof.
Improper or poor drainage system
A proper drainage system is always required to keep the flat roof maintained and in good condition and proper function. While for the slanted roof, the drainage system is not a big issue, but for the flat roof, it is quite difficult to get the water and the debris to runoff. Thus it is required to always hire a professional company for roofing Edinburgh that has the skills to establish proper drainage systems in the flat roof. Make sure, your flat roof has the required number of downspouts in order to avoid the condition of still water. An improper drainage system raises the problem of still water that can cause further issues of leakage, and further decaying of the roof.
Wrong coating of the roof
In areas like Edinburgh, where it often experiences bad weather, the roof needs to be coated well in order to prevent direct exposure of the worst climatic conditions.
But many of the fake roofing companies try to save money and time, often skip the step of coating the roof leaving the roof exposed to bad weather conditions. Due to this the roof condition weakens and the roof elements start deteriorating in their strength and quality.
The roof requires to be coated well in order to withstand the rainfall, moisture, humidity, and snowfall, or also high-temperature conditions, depending on the area where you reside. In the case when the roof is not well coated, the climatic condition will deteriorate the strength and the quality of the roof. Thus, while maintaining, or installing your new roof, make sure that your roof is well coated and well protected from the high weather conditions.
Not removing snow and ice
Often after snowfall the homeowner forgets to remove the snow and ice from the roof. This results in an increase in the snow load on the roof causing more damage to the roof. After snowfall, it is crucial that all homeowners should remove snow from their roof and avoid the accumulation of snow on it. Skipping this step will increase the load on the roof making it more susceptible to damage, ponding, leakage, and freeze-thaw issues. This will just add to your repair cost.
Ventilation is very important for the roof in order to keep the temperature maintained on the roof. In a case where ventilation on the roof is not proper, there will be the accumulation of hot air on it leading to an increase in the temperature over the roof surface. This will start decaying the elements of the roof and making it weak and reduce its quality. Sometimes, the owner skips this important step of installing the proper ventilation leading to the shortage of the roof.
Also, poor ventilation leads to an increase in moisture and condensation on the roof, and this will further contribute to the growth of mould and fungus on the roof. This also has a hazardous impact on the health of the roof. Thus in order to prevent the deterioration of the strength and the quality of the roof, make sure that you have installed proper ventilation on the roof.
When you try to install the roof on your own, it often leads to poor installation and thus decreases the age of the roof along with compromising safety as well. Thus it is recommended to always hire a flat roof expert in order to get the roof installed properly.
The above-mentioned are some common mistakes that can decrease the strength of the roof, deteriorate its quality, and shorten its age.
To get in touch with a flat roof specialist in Edinburgh-
- Ronald G. Graham Roofing and Building Ltd.
- 20 Gordon St, Edinburgh EH6 8NA
- 0131 555 5121
You can use our live chat to contact us in the bottom right-hand corner
- Mon – Fri: 07:00 – 18:00
- Roofline Installers Edinburgh
- Roofing Training and Development
- Slating and Tiling Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Roofing Services
FAQs About Flat Roofing:
What are the Materials Required to Replace a Typical Single Garage Flat Roof?
Here we delve into the cost of the materials for a typical single garage flat roof.
We have also provided suggested costs for waste removal, labor costs, profit margins, and VAT:
- New OSB decking boards (optional) – £50.00m2 each supply and fit inc VAT
- Firrings £50.00 (optional) inc VAT
- Base layer £40.00m2 inc VAT
- Mid layer £80.00m2 inc VAT
Top layer a cap sheet with a mineral finish £200.00 inc VAT
- Waste disposal – £100.00 inc VAT
- Labour for two people – £180.00
- Building control notification – £50.00
- Net profit – £200.00
- VAT on labor and profits – £76.00
Assuming you only need the felt replacing with a 2-layer system (often used on garages and sheds) – £775 inc VAT.
For a 3-layer felt-only system (required over habitable and insulated areas of the house) – £850.00 inc VAT.
For a complete replacement including new decking boards with a 3 layer system – £1200.00. Add £50 for firrings if needed.
We haven’t included the cost for replacement guttering, fascias, or soffits. Also, additional insulation may be needed on some flat roofs to meet current regulations. These cost around approx £50 per lm.
How do I know the best flat roofing company in Edinburgh?
Here are 7 tips on how you should choose the right Flat Roofing Company In Edinburgh–
- Check how long the flat roofing contractors have been in the business.
- Ask to see their past flat roof sample works.
- Make sure to check their accreditations and insurances.
- Check the companies house information for the company that is going to install the flat roof.
- Get financial quotations in written form on company letterhead
- Ask what happens if they cannot satisfy you with their flat roofing work.
- Ask for hidden charges or unplanned repairs for a flat roof.
Price is not the main thing that matters. In the flat roofing industry, there is a lot of cowboy flat roofers who will win jobs simply on price, however, they often cannot deliver and end up costing you more money in the long run.
How long does a flat roof last in Edinburgh?
A flat roof can last up to 20 years.
But flat roofs need proper annual maintenance to last for that long.
Drainage also plays a vital role in making the flat roof last.
If a flat roof has an inadequate drainage system and a lot of debris on it, it will not stand the test of time.
Can I claim house insurance for my leaking flat roof in Edinburgh?
Home insurance would cover your leaking flat roof if the leaks were caused due to a storm or any other natural occurrence.
If a storm causes the damage, you would see signs of damage on the exterior parts of the roof, but if the damage is caused by wear and tear, you will have to bear the costs.
How do you know when a flat roof needs replacing?
These four things indicate that your roof needs a replacement-
If the damage is small and not that extensive, you can repair the flat roof instead of replacing it.
But if the cracks and tears are all over the roof, it is best to replace the entire roof.
What is the best way to waterproof a flat roof in Edinburgh?
The most common material used to waterproof flat roofs is Reinforced Bitumen Membranes.
Generally, you need to apply two or three layers of this material over the surface of your flat roof.
How much does it cost to seal a flat roof in Edinburgh?
Coating your roof with a strong sealer is a great way to save your roof from getting damaged.
On average, it takes around £0.50 to £3 per square foot to seal a flat roof in Edinburgh.
How do I fix a leaky flat roof in Edinburgh?
You can fix a leak with a small patch permanently.
First, apply an EPDM primer.
When it becomes dry, use a rubber tape of 3″ covering the flashing around the hole.
It would help if you used to stick the patch over the hole with a firm roller.
How do you stop an Edinburgh flat roof from leaking?
Two effective ways to prevent flat roofs from getting leaked are-
- Install a flashing: A flashing prevents leaks on your flat roof, especially around the chimneys and vents.
- Use a membrane: You can also use a rubber membrane over the flat roof to prevent leaks.
What causes a flat roof to leak in Edinburgh areas?
A low drainage system is one of the most common causes of leaking flat roofs in Edinburgh.
On a flat roof, the melted snow and rain get easily collected.
So, you should have a good drainage system to drain out the water and debris.
If you think you don’t have a good drainage system, you should immediately look to install a solution to prevent further leaks on your flat roof.
What is the average life of a flat roof in the Edinburgh area?
On average a flat roof can last for between 10 to 15 years.
Mostly flat roofs are made of asphalt or mineral felt and have a life of 10 to 15 years.
But unfortunately, due to a flawed drainage system, the flat roof can suffer from damage with pooling water.
How many layers should an Edinburgh roofer have on a flat roof or have?
The number of layers depends on the type of roofing.
Modified bitumen can be layered up to six times on different parts of the roof-
A-Cap sheet roofing had only two or three layers on the insulation and deck.
Why are flat roofs so expensive in Edinburgh?
In terms of money, flat roofing contractors in Edinburgh do charge more than their counterparts.
Flat roofing is expensive as it has many steps to cover and requires installed insulation.
What is the Flat Roofing Terminology?
As the name suggests, a flat roof is specially designed to sit as flat as possible on the top of a property, typically having a pitch no greater than 15°.
A flat roof is made of six basic components:
- Waterproofing: this is the outer surface of the roofing which resists water; it can be made from a wide range of materials, such as metal, slate, tile, wood, or asphalt.
- Insulation: mainly provides a thermal barrier, but can also have sound-proofing or fire-resistant properties.
- Vapour Barrier: prevents moisture escaping.
- Substrate: also sometimes referred to as sheathing, this is the surface that the roof is laid on, commonly a timber deck (plywood sheeting).
- Joists: horizontal supports.
- Plasterboard ceil
- Roofing Repair Edinburgh
- Re-Roofing Edinburgh Services
- Chimney Repair Services Edinburgh
- Roofing Maintenance Programmes Edinburgh
- Asbestos Roofing Repairs
- Commercial Roofing Edinburgh
- Residential Roofing Services
- Roof Coating Edinburgh
- Scaffolders Services Edinburgh
- Roof Inspection: Roof Survey Edinburgh [Drone]
- Lead Roofing Work Edinburgh
- Stonework Repairs and Restoration Edinburgh
- Roof Sheeting: Metal Roofing Sheets in Edinburgh
- Statutory Notice Work Edinburgh
- Copper and Zinc Roofing
- Roofing Services Covered In Edinburgh
- FAQs – Roofing
- How to know if your roof is leaking – Our Guide
- 11 Tips When Choosing An Edinburgh Roofer
- DIY solutions to a leaky roof
- 8 early signs of roofing damage you must look out for – Our Guide
- Benefits of a Flat Roof
- Tiles or Slate – What’s the difference?
- What are Ridge Cappings and How To Fix Them?
- Maintaining Your Felt Roof
- Maintaining your gutters
- Signs of an unhealthy roof
- Best Roofing Replacements In Edinburgh
- COMPETITION: We are giving away a free roof to a key worker/service in Edinburgh!
- Preparing Commercial Roofs for Winter Weather In Edinburgh
- A Guide to Roof Windows!
- A Guide to Pitched Roofs!
- Maintenance in Domestic Roofing [Edinburgh]
- Importance of Approved Roofing Contractors In Edinburgh
- Does Building Insurance Cover Roof Repairs In Edinburgh?
- Commercial Gutters: Why are they important and how to maintain them
- My Roof is Leaking. What Should I do?
- Roof Maintenance Tips: Winter
- Why use a Which? Trusted Trader?
- COVID-19 Service Update!
- Finalists UK Roofing Awards 2020!