Are you looking for a Flat Roofing Contractor?
Find The Flat Roofers Specialist From the No.1 Flat Roof Company In Edinburgh!
THE FLAT ROOFING SPECIALIST In Edinburgh:
Are you looking for a flat roof specialist or a flat roofing company in Edinburgh?
If so, this is the right place to find the No.1 trusted Roofing Contractor in all areas of Edinburgh now!
RGG Ltd. is one of Edinburgh’s best flat roofing contractors, operating for more than 35 years.
At RGG Ltd, we offer the best possible service to our customers, commercial or domestic.
Being a family-run business, we feel proud of the envious client base we have accrued over the many years we have been in operation.
We always ensure that all clients projects are completed to the highest of industry standards
We even provide our customers with a free survey report including images to our clients for their perusal.
- Roofing Services Blackhall
- Broughton Roofing Services
- Guttering Repairs and Guttering Services in Edinburgh
- Flat Roof Replacement Cost Calculator
Ronald G Graham Roofing & Building Ltd. Background:
RGG Ltd., offering built-up felt roofing systems, single-ply roofing systems, cold-applied roofing systems, and EPDM roofing (firestone) has grown significantly over the last 35 years.
To keep our clients satisfied we provide flat roofs with-
- Greater durability
- Quicker and more cost-efficient installation
- Increased insulation properties for thermal resistance
- Lower maintenance costs
3 Central flat roof systems you should know:
1. Flat Roof-
- The flat roof, also known as “torchon“, has three layers.
- The layers are melt welded with a big torch or blowlamp.
- The felt roof comprises a breathable membrane, a reinforced felt layer, and a thicker layer known as a “Cap sheet“.
- The cap sheet comes with solar reflective elements alongside a variety of finishes.
- The benefits of using the felt roof over other roofs are-
- Repair costs are at a minimum
- It comes at a lower price compared to others
- It is widespread and readily available
- A Felt roof generally comes with a variety of different guarantees.
- But if you can install and maintain the roof properly, it could last for up to 40 years.
A Flat Roofer’s Tip-
- Always make sure the roofing contractors carry suitable insurance to use a hot flame in your property and they ensure that they comply with the NFRC safety torch policy.
2. Rubber Roof-
- Rubber roof, also known as Firestone roofing or EPDM, comes with a single layer.
- Rubber roof is comparatively new in the market.
- Still, it is becoming more and more popular with time.
- The advantages of rubber roof over other roofs are-
- It is a single layer yet reliable and damage resistant.
- Rubber roof comes with a guarantee period of up to 50 years.
- Installing this roof is much easier compared to others.
Rubber Roofing Costs-
- In May 2019, the rubber roof costs 20%-30% more than the felt roof, labor, and materials.
- Remember, if the timber decking needs replacement, then it will cost even more.
EPDM Roof Downsides-
- The appearance can be a drawback.
- Requires dry conditions for installation
- Rubber roofs have only a black aesthetic, which some people might not like.
A Flat Roofers Tip-
- As a rubber roof can be installed quickly, many underqualified cowboys work under the guise of professional installers.
- You should always call the manufacturer and ask to see the sample works of the installer first.
3. Fiber Glass Flat Roof-
- Fiberglass is known as Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP).
- This roof is the most expensive one but also the most resilient to damage.
- This type of roofing is used as a one or two-layered jointless system.
- Fiberglass has a factory-made finish and trim.
Fiberglass Flat Roofing Downsides-
- Fiberglass is not breathable enough to handle condensation.
- It has a low expansion capability (as roofs generally expand and contrast in heat and cold).
Other Points to Consider The Fiberglass Flat Roofing-
Ronald G Graham Roofing & Building Ltd. suggests you consult a roofer who has a wide range of flat roof skills.
- It would help if you did not choose a specialist on any particular roof.
- The most suitable roof can vary from situation to situation.
- The flat roof should always be at an incline and not be so flat that it cannot let the water flow to the gutter.
- Decent ventilation is needed to avoid condensation and moisture in properties.
- A covering is vital for removing the damp air and rain from the roof.
- The base or foundation of the roof should be strong enough to hold the roof and any solar panels on it.
- In the case of replacing an existing roof, you may find the roof decks or joints damaged.
So, you should be prepared for the extra expense at the time of stripping the old roof.
To get in touch with a flat roof specialist in Edinburgh-
- Ronald G. Graham Roofing and Building Ltd.
- 20 Gordon St, Edinburgh EH6 8NA
- 0131 555 5121
You can use our live chat to contact us in the bottom right-hand corner
- Mon – Fri: 07:00 – 18:00
- Roofline Installers Edinburgh
- Roofing Training and Development
- Slating and Tiling Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Roofing Services
FAQs About Flat Roofing:
What are the Materials Required to Replace a Typical Single Garage Flat Roof?
Here we delve into the cost of the materials for a typical single garage flat roof.
We have also provided suggested costs for waste removal, labor costs, profit margins, and VAT:
- New OSB decking boards (optional) – £50.00m2 each supply and fit inc VAT
- Firrings £50.00 (optional) inc VAT
- Base layer £40.00m2 inc VAT
- Mid layer £80.00m2 inc VAT
Top layer a cap sheet with a mineral finish £200.00 inc VAT
- Waste disposal – £100.00 inc VAT
- Labour for two people – £180.00
- Building control notification – £50.00
- Net profit – £200.00
- VAT on labor and profits – £76.00
Assuming you only need the felt replacing with a 2-layer system (often used on garages and sheds) – £775 inc VAT.
For a 3-layer felt-only system (required over habitable and insulated areas of the house) – £850.00 inc VAT.
For a complete replacement including new decking boards with a 3 layer system – £1200.00. Add £50 for firrings if needed.
We haven’t included the cost for replacement guttering, fascias, or soffits. Also, additional insulation may be needed on some flat roofs to meet current regulations. These cost around approx £50 per lm.
How do I know the best flat roofing company in Edinburgh?
Here are 7 tips on how you should choose the right Flat Roofing Company-
- Check how long the flat roofing contractors have been in the business.
- Ask to see their past flat roof sample works.
- Make sure to check their accreditations and insurances.
- Check the companies house information for the company that is going to install the flat roof.
- Get financial quotations in written form on company letterhead
- Ask what happens if they cannot satisfy you with their flat roofing work.
- Ask for hidden charges or unplanned repairs for a flat roof.
Price is not the main thing that matters. In the flat roofing industry, there is a lot of cowboy flat roofers who will win jobs simply on price, however, they often cannot deliver and end up costing you more money in the long run.
How long does a flat roof last in Edinburgh?
A flat roof can last up to 20 years.
But flat roofs need proper annual maintenance to last for that long.
Drainage also plays a vital role in making the flat roof last.
If a flat roof has an inadequate drainage system and a lot of debris on it, it will not stand the test of time.
Can I claim house insurance for my leaking flat roof in Edinburgh?
Home insurance would cover your leaking flat roof if the leaks were caused due to a storm or any other natural occurrence.
If a storm causes the damage, you would see signs of damage on the exterior parts of the roof, but if the damage is caused by wear and tear, you will have to bear the costs.
How do you know when a flat roof needs replacing?
These four things indicate that your roof needs a replacement-
If the damage is small and not that extensive, you can repair the flat roof instead of replacing it.
But if the cracks and tears are all over the roof, it is best to replace the entire roof.
What is the best way to waterproof a flat roof in Edinburgh?
The most common material used to waterproof flat roofs is Reinforced Bitumen Membranes.
Generally, you need to apply two or three layers of this material over the surface of your flat roof.
How much does it cost to seal a flat roof in Edinburgh?
Coating your roof with a strong sealer is a great way to save your roof from getting damaged.
On average, it takes around £0.50 to £3 per square foot to seal a flat roof in Edinburgh.
How do I fix a leaky flat roof in Edinburgh?
You can fix a leak with a small patch permanently.
First, apply an EPDM primer.
When it becomes dry, use a rubber tape of 3″ covering the flashing around the hole.
It would help if you used to stick the patch over the hole with a firm roller.
How do you stop an Edinburgh flat roof from leaking?
Two effective ways to prevent flat roofs from getting leaked are-
- Install a flashing: A flashing prevents leaks on your flat roof, especially around the chimneys and vents.
- Use a membrane: You can also use a rubber membrane over the flat roof to prevent leaks.
What causes a flat roof to leak in Edinburgh areas?
A low drainage system is one of the most common causes of leaking flat roofs in Edinburgh.
On a flat roof, the melted snow and rain get easily collected.
So, you should have a good drainage system to drain out the water and debris.
If you think you don’t have a good drainage system, you should immediately look to install a solution to prevent further leaks on your flat roof.
What is the average life of a flat roof in the Edinburgh area?
On average a flat roof can last for between 10 to 15 years.
Mostly flat roofs are made of asphalt or mineral felt and have a life of 10 to 15 years.
But unfortunately, due to a flawed drainage system, the flat roof can suffer from damage with pooling water.
How many layers should an Edinburgh roofer have on a flat roof or have?
The number of layers depends on the type of roofing.
Modified bitumen can be layered up to six times on different parts of the roof-
A-Cap sheet roofing had only two or three layers on the insulation and deck.
Why are flat roofs so expensive in Edinburgh?
In terms of money, flat roofing contractors in Edinburgh do charge more than their counterparts.
Flat roofing is expensive as it has many steps to cover and requires installed insulation.
What is the Flat Roofing Terminology?
As the name suggests, a flat roof is specially designed to sit as flat as possible on the top of a property, typically having a pitch no greater than 15°.
A flat roof is made of six basic components:
- Waterproofing: this is the outer surface of the roofing which resists water; it can be made from a wide range of materials, such as metal, slate, tile, wood, or asphalt.
- Insulation: mainly provides a thermal barrier, but can also have sound-proofing or fire-resistant properties.
- Vapour Barrier: prevents moisture escaping.
- Substrate: also sometimes referred to as sheathing, this is the surface that the roof is laid on, commonly a timber deck (plywood sheeting).
- Joists: horizontal supports.
- Plasterboard ceil
- Roofing Repair Edinburgh
- Re-Roofing Edinburgh Services
- Chimney Repair Services Edinburgh
- Roofing Maintenance Programmes Edinburgh
- Asbestos Roofing Repairs
- Commercial Roofing Edinburgh
- Residential Roofing Services
- Roof Coating Edinburgh
- Scaffolders Services Edinburgh
- Roof Inspection: Roof Survey Edinburgh [Drone]
- Lead Roofing Work Edinburgh
- Stonework Repairs and Restoration Edinburgh
- Roof Sheeting: Metal Roofing Sheets in Edinburgh
- Statutory Notice Work Edinburgh
- Copper and Zinc Roofing
- Roofing Services Covered In Edinburgh
- FAQs – Roofing
- How to know if your roof is leaking – Our Guide
- 11 Tips When Choosing An Edinburgh Roofer
- DIY solutions to a leaky roof
- 8 early signs of roofing damage you must look out for – Our Guide
- Benefits of a Flat Roof
- Tiles or Slate – What’s the difference?
- What are Ridge Cappings and How To Fix Them?
- Maintaining Your Felt Roof
- Maintaining your gutters
- Signs of an unhealthy roof
- Best Roofing Replacements In Edinburgh
- COMPETITION: We are giving away a free roof to a key worker/service in Edinburgh!
- Preparing Commercial Roofs for Winter Weather In Edinburgh
- A Guide to Roof Windows!
- A Guide to Pitched Roofs!
- Maintenance in Domestic Roofing [Edinburgh]
- Importance of Approved Roofing Contractors In Edinburgh
- Does Building Insurance Cover Roof Repairs In Edinburgh?
- Commercial Gutters: Why are they important and how to maintain them
- My Roof is Leaking. What Should I do?
- Roof Maintenance Tips: Winter
- Why use a Which? Trusted Trader?
- COVID-19 Service Update!
- Finalists UK Roofing Awards 2020!
Introduction Video of Our Flat Roofing Company:
Our Office Directions in Edinburgh To Visit For Your Flat Roofing: