With RGG Roofing Company Edinburgh, A roof that is well-maintained in Edinburgh can last for decades or even longer. There comes a period when a replacement roof can be a more cost-efficient alternative than continual roof repairs. A new roof in an Edinburgh property can be a daunting task. Getting reactions from all proprietors, some of whom may not live on the property can be tedious
Signs of a damaged slate roof:
The lifespan of a slated roof
- Slates are quarried from slate beds and in time become porous due to exposure and weather conditions.
- This is due to the water that gets accumulated in minor pores and starts freezing in it for over a number of
- If you have used good quality slates on your property excluding minus iron pirates then it will last for over 70 to 200 years.
- High winds, ice, rain, and snow can also decrease the lifespan of the slate roof.
- If a roof is in an area where it does receive enough sunlight and the roof becomes green and constantly wet this can have an adverse to your effect also.
- Scots slate has a lifespan of 150 years approximately whereas Welsh slate has 100 years of life. Scots slate is a thicker, harder more robust slate and includes different types such as a Ballachulish, Wasdale, and Aberfoyle.
- If you want a second-hand slate then it is easily available in the marketplace but quality can sometimes be an issue.
- The iron nail which was used to fix slates in the 1800s can become nail sick due to poor quality of galvanization or it can become rusted.
- If the iron nails become weak it can cause many problems such as the slate will lose and can slip off out of place.
- We recommend bringing your roof up to current British Standards for slating and tiling BS5534.
- Timber damage is brought about by a natural assault inside the wood by specific types of growths.
- The parasite can lie torpid in the wood for quite a long time until the correct conditions introduce themselves.
- The main reason for timber damage is moisture. If it comes in contact with moisture then it will start rotting.
- Getting the timber away from moisture is the best way to guard it.
- Rotten timber can be easily fixed.
Slow dry of slate
- When you start noticing that the slate is not drying up quickly then this means it is time to change the slate.
- If the slates start holding up water instead of forming a barrier then their water-repelling properties have been lost or there is not enough light exposure. This can cause slates to become porous or laminated.
Cost to Carry out Slate Repairs:
Roof slates are available in many unique styles and sizes. They are additionally built using distinct materials. The cost to replace the roof can range extensively.
The price of fixing slate can vary due to:
- Roof size
- Style of roof
- Material that is used to make the roof
- Amount of damage
The price to fix this problem is about £60 to £80 /sq. meter. This will include the cost of material, labor, and waste disposal.
New roofs are more economical than the constant repair
The safety of roofers is paramount and to access the roof, sometimes scaffolding is required. If roof repairs are required regularly then you might be paying for site set-up continuously.
Some roofers can do repairs without the help of scaffolding but if there is an accident to any roofer whilst working on your property unsafely, this will fall back on you in line with The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007. Or on the other hand, you will be responsible for a fine if a roofer tackles the job in an unsafe manner putting them and you at risk.
Rope access workers for hire are regularly not qualified roofers and may just have the option to accomplish restricted work on a roof. Our roofers are also Level 1 IRATA Rope Access Technicians and are highly skilled roofers.