The majority of the buildings in Edinburgh face the issue of damp which are often misdiagnosed and thus repaired in an incorrect manner. This leads to the worsening of the issues. There is a need for the professional roofing company team that have the ability to diagnose the damp issues correctly and then take the required action to solve this issue.
In general, all the traditional buildings in Edinburgh are more prone to damp issues in the case when they do not receive required maintenance.
When the damp issues are not correctly diagnosed, they often worsen and lead to major issues. In order to diagnose the damp issue correctly, there is a need that the roofer team understands the construction of the building well. Only after understanding the building, they can diagnose the damp issue, their potential reasons, and this way they can treat it effectively.
In traditional buildings, there is the mechanism of unrestricted movement of the dampness or the moisture. But the use of modern building materials like cement in such traditionally built buildings will lead to the restriction of the movement of the moisture. This will cause building up of the moisture in excess and thus the damp issues arise in the buildings.
In order to fix and solve the damp issues, there is a need to understand and identify the reason behind this issue. After identifying the possible reason, the affected area should be allowed to dry out completely before starting the remedy or the repair work.
If in the case when the reason or the issue is not properly diagnosed or not treated in a correct manner, there will be a continual build up of moisture which will result in the worsening of the damp issue. Also, the incorrect repair process might increase the problem along with the additional costs.
Sometimes, there is the presence of molds, staining, and stale air on the surface. This indicates that there is some interruption in the movement of the moisture and this is progressing toward the damp issues. In such a case, the roofing team should identify the possible reason for this issue and take the required action to stop it.
Sometimes, it may be not possible to solve the damp issues like in the sub-surface walls associated with the basement, etc. In this case, the roofing team will need to understand that it is not possible to prevent the moisture. The only thing they can do is to think of an alternate method or remedy to eliminate or prevent the internal moisture. The roofers in this condition can construct an internal partitioning that can stop the vapor from coming inside.
Common Reasons for Damp
- The majority of damping issues emerge because of the failure of the material used in the building. The best example to explain this reason is the use of cement in the building where lime mortar was used previously. So in order to identify the reason, the homeowner should consider the latest renovation or repair in their building after which the damp issue began.
- Another potential reason for a damp issue in any building is the lack of maintenance. In the case when there is some water ingress, there might be the development of a severe damp issue. This issue can be controlled by detecting the issue early and getting it fixed as soon as possible.
- Leakage in the roof is another reason for the development of damp issues in the building. Roofs are the place which is least inspected. In the case when there is a blockage in the gutter or in the pipes, a leakage issue could arise which will slowly raise the issue of damp by building up moisture in the walls, plaster, and timber.
- Inappropriate drainage for the rainwater will result in the collection of water in the roof. This can also lead to the pouring of water in the wall and it will get soaked and penetrate deep in the stonework that will lead to damp issues.
- Poor ventilation is another reason for the development of dampness in the buildings. Poor ventilation will lead to the restriction of airflow and this will result in the building up of stagnant air in the house and thus damp issues can arise.